Sunday, September 26, 2010

H=has blonde hair

Remember blog #1?  That first post, in which I believe the assignment was to introduce myself in "as creative a way as possible...in less than 50 words."  Fifty words?  I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like enough words to describe one miniscule molecule of...poo, much less a wonderfully intricate, complex human being!  That's practically an insult! Sooooooooooo I think I shall take a phrase from the acronym I wrote in that first post, and expand on it :D I'll do each one, starting from the bottom up: "H=has blonde hair."

 Since I can remember...actually, before I can remember, my Mom has dyed my hair blonde.  Only my very close confidantes know this, but i don't think they believe me.  I was originally born with dark hair, almost black.  My mom had always wanted a light-haired child, and she asked the doctors if it was possible to "chemically change my hair color as a baby" e.g., dye it blonde while I was so young.  None of the doctors were willing, and I think they secretly thought my mom was selfish for being so ready and willing to risk my health over something as trivial as hair color.  But y Mom was determined: she searched and searched for a doctor that would approve her request, then she brought the signed safety contract to her hairdresser.  Tah dah!  I was blonde, and have been ever since.


Haha all that ^ is a lie :D :D  I was born with a CLOUD of white hair, not just a poof, a cloud, got it?  Not a single drop of hair dye has ever touched my head.  People were blinded my hair because it was so light, it became reflective in the sun.  When I was younger I didn't care about having blonde hair, I guess because I wasn't self conscious yet.  But then Growing Up came along and told me my eyelashes were too white: why weren't they dark and thick like other people"s?  And not only that, why was my hair staying so blonde when all of my other friend's hair had darkened long ago? I felt different, as if I stuck out like sore thumb with my ugly white hair.



People would say things like "Oh, your hair is so pretty!" or "There's the girl with the golden hair."  I know they meant well, and they would always say things like "People pay a lot of money to have hair like your's."  But that only made me feel more like an alien individual for having such unusual hair.  I thought if I grew it really long it might look better.  For a few years I barely trimmed it at all, hoping, willing it to grow really long.  But my hair grows slooooooow; by the time it was to my waist it was very split and wispy.


 

I thought about cutting it because now I felt even more like an oddball with this really long blonde hair.  Off I went to an expensive salon to get the first really "major" haircut of my life.  I loved it!  it was layered, and suddenly I didn't mind that it was blonde.  When Growing Up first visited me, it made me feel insecure about myself by throwing negative comments at me.  But as I have grown up even more, those comments don't sting as much.  Desensitizing myself to them has made me feel more confident about myself.  I no longer think "Why am I not like everyone else?"  But instead "I don't care if not many people have blonde hair, it's just hair and why do I care if I'm not like everyone else?"  And the moral of the story is? Never feel odd because you are unique.  Or maybe it should be: if you are odd or unique that is definitely not a bad thing; why does everyone want to look and act the same as everyone else anyway?  There really is no reason.  Actually, here's a better moral, and I know it will sound extremely cheesy and cliche, but it is so truuueee; just always be yourself, whoever that is :D    

2 comments:

  1. haha, your lie was so detailed/long, that i was a itty bitty tiny bit almost convinced that you.... were craccy-er than i had suspected. :) haha, kidding! but it's cool that you don,t care anymore because your hair is honestly very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete