Wednesday, September 29, 2010

C=Cooking is My Hobby

Humans love food; I have met very few people in the world who detest eating.  But for some reason, there are FAR less people who love to cook.  How is that conceivable?  Home-cooked meals taste so yummy, they are worth every effort.



My mom and I, even though our relationship isn't top notch, have spent nearly every evening cooking dinner for our family.  As we cook, my Mom will tell me stories about when she was my age or we'll reminisce about past experiences.  She tells me how to chop carne asada just the right length and thickness for fajitas; how to cook a rue without the flour becoming lumpy; or show me just the right amount of basil and oregano to add to pasta sauce.  I have learned more about cooking from her than any cookbook, while making memories that will last a lifetime. 


Although, just to throw in a dose of reality, there are those evenings where we get into arguements about how to cook this or that, and it usually ends with me very frustrated and not feeling like eating, and my mom grounding me :P 

Cooking with friends also encourages happy relationships.  I never feel more comfortable and at home with someone than when we are cooking together.  I've noticed, if it is the first time I am visiting a new friend's house, no matter how awkward it is, as soon as we pull out the mixing bowls and start whipping out a batch of brownies or chocolate chip cookies, that awkwardness steps into the other room.   



Enough with the ooey gooey, cozy feelings though, haha :)  We all know the real reason people cook is because they like to eat.  Ironically enough though, my cooking hobby began when I was anorexic; I would spend hours reading cookbooks, looking at photos of delicious food that I had "forbidden" myself to eat.  It I couldn't eat it, at least it was a feast for the eyes, right?  I started cooking and giving the food to other people, rarely touching the food myself. 



But now that I'm "all better" I eat everything I cook :)  I make sweet doughs for cinnamon rolls; frosting for birthday cakes; vegetable soup with lot's of herbs, carrots, and noodles.  I mix batter for every sort of imagineable muffin; I toast pine nuts for delicious pastas...you get the idea :D

Why settle for that frozen chimchanga, when you can set aside an hour to make a delicious batch of enchiladas?  believe me, it is worth every second you spend to make food that is actually worth eating.  Cooking makes your house smell really good too, just so you know ;)  Haha so go make something delicious before you die, even if it's just to say you did; add it your life to-do list.  even if cooking doesn't become your hobby, at least try it a few times.  Pretty please, with lot's of whipped cream, and a cherry on top :D

3 comments:

  1. hehehe, those pictures made me hungry :) and oregano is my favorite herb! :D i wish i was parient enough to cook delicious food... a lot of the time i will cook a cake or something and pull it out early, all gooey and not completely baked, and i will eat it even when it burns my mouth :P but one day, i will definately bake something amazing and cook it all the way :) interesting blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I do that with brownies and cookies! We are both impatient when it comes to cooking I suppose :) And yes, oregano is such a magical herb :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write. You are very talented! I like this blog about cooking, and I believe that you are an awesome cook!

    ReplyDelete