Friday, October 1, 2010

Blog #11

Metacognitive Activity on your definition essay


Culminating Writers Profile
  1. Discuss how your expectations about your writing style and needs have both changed and remained the same since this class has started.  My expectations about my writing style and needs have changed since this class has started in that I now anticipate learning how to do a lot of annotations of texts and reading a lot of boring books (heehee).  They have stayed the same in that I know I need a consistent style and it needs to be free of grammar/spelling errors.
  2.  What do you see as your strengths as a writer and how have you reinforced them?  I really enjoy telling/inventing stories so I strive to let that show through in my writing and keep things interesting; i reinforced this strength in the definition essay.
  3. What do you still see as your writing weaknesses and what have you done to strengthen those areas?  I have a real weakness for keeping my writing organized and flowing smoothly and connectedly.  I used more transitions in the Definition essay, along with an organizational method.       

Evaluating Your Writing Process
  1. If you had the time to write one more draft of this essay, how would you improve it?  I would improve any errors in verb tense or try to eliminate more to-be verbs.  
  2. As you received peer feedback and revised your essay, what did you find the easiest element to improve in your essay?  I found it easy to write about my topic in general; I really was passionate about my topic and had a lot of examples.
  3. In contrast, discuss the biggest problem you had in writing and revising this essay.  The original story I was going to base my whole essay on ended up needing to be eliminated completely and I had to think of a whole new way to write the essay.

Evaluating Your Successes
  1. Discuss your most successful large-scale revision in this essay.  Well, as I haven't gotten my essay back yet, I really have not completed a large-scale revision so-far. 
  2. Discuss your success in combining descriptive, narrative, and illustrative elements into this Definition Essay.  I shared a lot of examples I was familiar with and tried to use colorful and descriptive adjectives, while "showing" and not "telling."
  3. Discuss your best success when considering your audience.  I could reference works of literature without having to worry if my audience would understand what I was talking about or not. 

Being Honest with Self
  1. What most intimidated you about this writing process and how did you combat this intimidation?  I was intimidated by the concept of a definition essay; at first i didn't quite understand the prompt.  To combat this intimidation I read some student essays, which really helped me.
  2. What ideas or methods from texts we studied influenced you to try a new strategy within your writing process?  The Box Man helped me with some of the structure and method of my essay. 
  3. What ideas or methods did you pick up on from reading student essay examples that you tried in your own writing process?  I used the method of storytelling in my essay, using a lot of examples like one student did. 
  4. What idea for improving your essay did you learn from a peer?  A peer suggested I focus less on one example and devote more even attention to a variety of examples.
  5. Where do you see yourself as a writer now, in both strengths and weaknesses, after completing this writing assignment?  I'm not quite sure how to answer this question because I have not gotten my essay back yet.  I now understand how to write a Definition essay with very few to-be verbs, but I still feel weak in my organization. 


No comments:

Post a Comment